Heather Douglas is a partner in our Toronto office. Ms. Douglas was admitted
to the Ontario bar in 1980 and graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1978.
Areas of Practice
- Heather practices in the area of financial services specializing
in financial transactions involving municipalities (in Ontario and other provinces),
provincial and territorial government bodies, Crown corporations and school
- Represented financial institutions in respect of ongoing legal issues relating
to debt issuance by a variety of public sector entities.
- Represented the underwriters in connection with several tranches of pooled
debt issued by a non-share capital not-for-profit special purpose corporation
in connection with the capital requirements of Ontario district school boards.
- Represented more than 50 Ontario school boards in connection with the refinancing
of the boards non-permanently financed debt through a special purpose
- Advised and assisted with the establishment of a pooled investment program
for Ontario municipalities.
- Advised and assisted several institutions with the establishment of lending
programs to Ontario municipalities through the issuance of debentures.
- Advised and assisted Ontario public sector entities in connection with their
general powers relating to a broad spectrum of financial matters
- Has represented the Government of Ontario in connection with securities
issued by an Ontario municipality to the Government.
- Has advised clients in connection with several public-private partnerships
involving Ontario municipalities.
Professional and Community Activities
- Sits on the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing Working Committee
on Municipal Debt Issuance and Investment Policy.
- Sat on the Board of Directors of The Canadian Council for Public-Private
- Sat on several Working Groups established by the Province of Ontario in
connection with new legislation.
- Was the Co-chair of The Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships
Comparative Municipal Legislation Task Force.
- Sits on the Board of Directors of a multi-national pharmaceutical corporation.
- Frequent speaker at seminars and conferences on public sector financing
Practice areas to which Heather R. Douglas belongs:
- Financial Services
- Municipal Law