Jim Elder is a partner in our Toronto office. He was admitted to the Ontario
Bar in 1987. He attended law school at the University of Western Ontario and
is a graduate of the CICAs In-Depth Tax Course. Mr. Elder serves as the
Toronto regional coordinator of the firm's Private Company practice group and
is the co-leader of the Corporate Commercial Group in Toronto.
Areas of Practice
- Mr. Elder began his legal career in the area of taxation, with an emphasis
on corporate reorganizations and transaction related tax issues. In 1989 he
transferred into corporate/commercial law, where he has practised ever since.
- In recent years, he has taken an interest in the laws governing partnerships
and joint ventures, and has assisted clients with numerous related matters,
including joint venture and partnership syndications, partnership dissolutions,
and professional partnerships.
- His practice covers a wide range, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate
finance, commercial agreements, shareholder relations, joint ventures, partnerships
and corporate governance.
- Has structured numerous joint venture and strategic alliance arrangements,
including shareholder agreements, partnerships, co-ownerships and joint marketing
- Has worked extensively with foreign clients in setting up and running Canadian
operations, including advice on matters of commercial law, relations with
suppliers, customers, distributors and employees, and establishment of joint
ventures and other relationships with Canadian partners.
- Has extensive experience with mergers and acquisitions, management buy-outs,
divestitures, joint ventures, shareholder relations, partnerships, promotion
agreements, employee stock option and remuneration plans and other commercial
- Has advised clients concerning advertising compliance matters.
- Has acted in connection with the purchase, sale and financing of automobile
- Has acted on numerous financing and credit restructuring transactions.
- Has acted in connection with various international and domestic distribution,
licensing and warehousing arrangements.
- Has acted in connection with the establishment of non-share capital corporations
and the registration of the same as charities, and in connection with the
establishment, structuring and operation of equity and non-equity Clubs.
- Has advised clients and insurers concerning the duties and liabilities of
directors and officers.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member of the Toronto Board of Trade
- Has Prepared various articles concerning directors' and officers' liability
and is the author of Mutual Assistance in Tax Matters, Recent Developments
in Bilateral and Multilateral Relations.
- Member of the board of a number of Canadian private corporations.
Practice areas to which James R. Elder belongs:
- Biotech and Pharmaceutical
- Corporate Commercial Group
- Information Technology
- Private Company
- Venture Capital