David Whelan is the Managing Partner of our Calgary office. Mr. Whelan was
admitted to the Alberta Bar in 1984 after having obtained his B.C.L. and LL.B.
degrees from McGill University in 1983. Prior to that, he received a B.Sc. (Mechanical
Engineering) from Queens University in 1979.
Areas of Practice
- Mr. Whelan practices in the areas of corporate commercial law, banking and
corporate restructurings. Mr. Whelan also has expertise in the area of derivatives
and swap transactions, and in drafting and negotiating energy contracts in
the Alberta power market.
Conferences and Publications
- Emission Reduction Credit Contracting - Emerging Systems and Issues in Contracting
(Insight Information - 2006).
- Priorities: A Secured Lenders Guide (The Canadian Institute
- The Effect of Insolvency on the Validity and Enforceability of Commercial
Loan and Security Documentation (The Canadian Institute - 1995).
- Enforcing Security Under Part V of the Personal Property Security Act
(Legal Education Society of Alberta - 1994).
- Technical Update - Spring 1994 (Canadian Insolvency Practitioners Association
- Revenue Canada and Secured Creditors: The Ongoing Battle for Priority (CBA,
Alberta Branch - 1993).
- The Rights of Employees in an Insolvency (The Canadian Institute - 1992).
Practice areas to which David C. Whelan belongs:
- Financial Services
- Insolvency and Restructuring