Steve is a partner in our Calgary office and is Co-Chair of the Calgary Intellectual
Property Department and head of various related Practice Groups. Steve graduated
with a B.A. from UBC in 1978 and from the University of Alberta in 1981 with
After articling with Howard, Mackie (one of the founding firms of Borden Ladner
Gervais), Steve was admitted to the Alberta Bar in 1982. Steve is AV peer review
rated by Martindale Hubbard, the highest rating for legal ability, being awarded
to less than 5% of practicing lawyers.
Areas of Practice
- Steve has a solid background in general corporate/commercial law, with an
emphasis on development and commercialization of intellectual property, including
patented and non-patented technology, trade marks, trade secrets, copyrighted
material, including computer programs and franchising and other rights.
- Steve is Co-Chair of the Calgary offices Intellectual Property Department.
- He has a solid background in general corporate/commercial law and has acted
in negotiating, structuring and documenting numerous financings, both debt
- He handles the following matters:
- Commercial and Intellectual property work encompassing products and
services from basic to advanced technology, and all types of industries
and service providers, including computer hardware and software companies,
manufacturers of consumer and industrial goods, oil and gas producers,
service and petro-chemical companies, electronic commerce companies, information
technology service providers and a variety of franchise operations.
- Significant Intellectual Property work, including internet issues, electronic
commerce issues, outsourcing agreements and related issues, intellectual
property audits and international protection for patent, trademark and
- From 1983 to 1988 much of his practice was devoted to numerous aspects
of trade mark, copyright and licensing matters, primarily on behalf of
the Organizing Committee for the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.
- Since 1986 his practice expanded into areas relating to technology transfer,
including computer law, patent rights and trade secrets and all types
of financing and commercialization pertaining thereto, including negotiating
and drafting of agreements relating to research, confidentiality, joint
ventures, manufacturing, development, distribution and licensing.
- A working knowledge of patent law and has assisted numerous clients
in obtaining patent protection and in dealing with patent infringement
- Has incorporated and acted for various charities and charitable foundations.
Professional and Community Activities
- Volunteer and Board Director for various not-for-profit organizations including:
Student Legal Services, Legal Guidance, Between Friends, The Calgary Foundation,
Foothills Hospital Foundation, Volunteer Calgary and Foothills Hospital Development
- Trustee, Board Director and member of various Board committees for The Meadows
Foundation Inc. of Texas.
- Registered Trade Mark Agent.
- Associate member, Patent and Trade Mark Institute of Canada.
- Various committees and management positions with Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
at both local and national levels.
Practice areas to which Stephen W. Wilson belongs:
- Advertising and Sponsorship
- Entertainment Law
- Franchise and Distribution Law
- Health Care Institutions and Services (non-litigious)
- Health Law
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Agency