Maria Doerksen is a partner in our Calgary office. Ms. Doerksen was admitted
to the Alberta Bar in 1995. She graduated with an LL.B. (Deans List) from
the University of Alberta in 1994. Prior thereto, Ms. Doerksen obtained an MBA
from the University of Alberta (1993) and a Bachelor of Commerce Degree from
the University of Alberta (1989). Her final year in the Bachelor of Commerce
program was spent at the Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien (Vienna, Austria). Ms.
Doerksen is fluently bilingual in English and German.
Areas of Practice
- Ms. Doerksen practices in the corporate and commercial areas.
- Ms. Doerksen has a broad range of experience dealing with corporate and
commercial transactions and banking matters. Ms. Doerksens mandates
- Public offerings
- Incorporations, corporate reorganizations and amalgamations
- Ongoing services to private companies
- Asset acquisition and disposition transactions
- Share acquisition and disposition transactions
- Shareholder agreements
- The negotiation, drafting and review of commercial agreements
- Due diligence reviews
- Asset based lending transactions, from both the borrowers and
the lenders perspective, including high risk loans to borrowers
- Acting for banks in lending transactions.
- Ms. Doerksen has acted for both buyers and sellers in corporate acquisitions
and divestitures. In addition, Ms. Doerksen has acted for both commercial
borrowers and lenders in financing transactions.
- Ms. Doerksen has also assisted trustees in bankruptcy and interim receivers.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association - Alberta Branch: Business Law subsection
Practice areas to which Maria S. Doerksen belongs:
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Directors' and Officers' Liability
- Financial Services
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Company
- Securities and Capital Markets