Bob Love is a partner at our Toronto office and is currently national leader
of the Insurance and Tort Liability Group. Bob is also the national leader of
the Product Liability Group. Bob was admitted to the Ontario bar in 1994. He
graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1992. Prior to that, he
received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Waterloo.
Areas of Practice
- Civil litigation, focusing on product liability, insurance defence, municipal
liability and professional liability. He has appeared as lead counsel at all
levels of the trial and appellate courts of Ontario.
- Product liability work is primarily defence oriented, representing large
and small manufacturers, distributors and retailers.
- Product liability retainers include:
- Advising and representing manufacturers, distributors and retailers
in defence of their products such as motor vehicles, heavy equipment,
marine craft and equipment, televisions, small appliances, food products,
industrial equipment and processing.
- Drafting and reviewing manufacturers manuals to be included with
the product delivered to consumers.
- Drafting and advising manufacturers, distributors and retailers on warnings
and contractual limitation of liability clauses.
- Insurance defence practice includes defending a wide range of casualty and
property claims as well as advancing subrogated claims on behalf of insurers.
- Defence insurance retainers include:
- Advising and representing insurers on motor vehicle liability and occupiers
- Defending professional negligence claims against professionals such
as solicitors, engineers, architects and chiropractors.
- Representing insurers on subrogated claims with emphasis on fire loss.
- Providing opinions with regard to various insurance legislation.
- Municipal liability litigation work involves defending all manner of personal
injury and police liability.
- Municipal liability retainers include:
- Representing municipalities in defence of liability claims relating
to non-repair and design of roadways, occupiers liability, liability
of fire fighters and general personal injury claims.
- Defending claims against police officers and police services.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association and Advocates' Society.
- Member of the Defense Research Institute.
- Metropolitan Toronto Lawyers Association.
- Co-editor of BLG booklet on Product Liability Law in Canada.
- Taught Civil Procedure at Osgoode Hall Law School.
- Written articles and presented seminars on various substantive law topics
Practice areas to which Robert L Love belongs:
- General Property and Casualty Claims
- Insurance and Tort Liability
- Personal Injury and Accident
- Product Liability