Laurie Robson is a partner in our Calgary office. Ms. Robson articled to a
Vancouver firm specializing in Intellectual Property and was called to the B.C.
bar in 1995. She returned to Alberta in 1995 and was admitted to the Alberta
Bar in 1996.
Ms. Robson received her Bachelor of Science undergraduate degree from Brandon
University, Manitoba in 1988, majoring in Mathematics and Chemistry, and was
awarded the Silver Medal in Chemistry. She graduated from the University of
Alberta Law School in 1994.
Areas of Practice
- Labour and Employment: Board Hearings, Arbitrations, Negotiations and Litigation
concerning both provincially and federally regulated employers and employees,
Labour Matters representing management, Human Rights, Workers Compensation,
Occupational Health & Safety, Employment Contract Drafting, Disability
and Benefits, Executive Employment and Compensation, Hiring, Terminations,
Workforce Reductions & Reorganizations, Performance Management, HR Policy
Drafting and Privacy.
- Ms. Robson began her career as a general litigation lawyer. Her main areas
of focus in her litigation practice have included labour and employment matters,
construction and builders liens, intellectual property and oil and gas.
- Represents employers and employees in labour and employment law matters
under both federal and provincial jurisdiction, including: labour board hearings,
arbitrations, negotiations, litigation and investigations on discrimination,
sexual harassment, wrongful dismissal, occupational health & safety, workers
compensation, disability and benefits, hiring negotiations, terminations,
executive contracts and compensation, and employment contract and HR policy
- Experienced in Federal Court of Canada and Court of Queens Bench of
- Experienced in Canadian Human Rights and Alberta Human Rights Complaints.
- Experienced in Workers Compensation Board, Canada Labour Code, Canada
Industrial Relations Board, Alberta Labour Relations Board, Employment Standards
Code and Occupational Health & Safety matters.
- Has represented clients in respect of protecting information from disclosure
under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Alberta).
- Experienced with HR policy drafting, including: drug and alcohol testing,
privacy, confidential information, computer and technology use.
- Experienced in patent, trade-mark, trade secret, technology licensing, copyright
and industrial design litigation.
- Experienced in complex construction litigation matters and builders
Professional and Community Activities
- Regional Coordinator, Labour and Employment, BLG Calgary office.
- Regularly presents seminars on employment and human resources issues.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Labour & Employment
- Member, Calgary Bar Association.
- Co-author of the BLG employment law publication: Employment Law: Solutions
for the Canadian Workplace (Provincial Employment Law Chapter) published
by Specialty Technical Publishers.
Practice areas to which Laurie M. Robson belongs:
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Labour and Employment