Roger Jaipargas is a partner of Borden Ladner Gervais LLP and a member of the
firms Insolvency and Restructuring Group. He graduated from York University
with a Specialized Honours Bachelor of Arts with a major in Political Science
and from the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law with a Bachelor of Laws.
He was Law Clerk to the Office of the Chief Justice of the Superior Court of
Areas of Practice
- Mr. Jaipargas practises in the areas of Commercial Insolvency, Restructuring
and Secured Transactions. Other practice areas include: litigation associated
with insolvency proceedings, priority disputes regarding secured transactions,
various other creditors remedies and general Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Mr. Jaipargas mandates have included: advising trustees, monitors,
chief restructuring officers and receivers with respect to various issues
arising in connection with bankruptcy and insolvency matters.
- Advising secured parties on issues relating to the granting and enforcement
of security interests in personal property under the Personal Property
Security Act (Ontario).
- Advising clients with respect to claims arising from fraudulent preferences,
fraudulent conveyances, settlements and other claims for the recovery of assets
in insolvency matters.
- Advising finance providers on inventory financing matters, including review
of transactional documentation.
- Advising parties on issues relating to reorganizations under the Companies
Creditors Arrangement Act and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.
- Advising unsecured and secured creditors in various enforcement and execution
- Mr. Jaipargas has also acted on a number of high profile reorganizations
under the Companies Creditors Arrangement Act including the following
- Air Canada,
- Stelco Inc.,
- Pangeo Pharma Inc.,
- Playdium Entertainment Corporation,
- GT Group Telecom Corp. and
- Laidlaw Inc. (a cross-border restructuring involving simultaneous proceedings
under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code and the Companies
Creditors Arrangement Act).
- Mr. Jaipargas has also worked extensively on the bankruptcy of Canada 3000
including responding to an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.
Professional and Community Activities
- Mr. Jaipargas is editor of a chapter of the Bar Admission Course materials
with Michael J. MacNaughton on creditors rights and remedies.
- Mr. Jaipargas has recently co-authored a paper with Michael J. MacNaughton
dealing with Debtor-in-Possession Financing.
- Mr. Jaipargas has authored a paper dealing with an overview of insolvency
proceedings in Canada.
- Mr. Jaipargas has authored a paper dealing with corporate governance matters
and specifically the obligations of directors and officers as a corporation
- Mr. Jaipargas has authored a number of case comments for the Insolvency
News Newsletter published by the Insolvency Section of the Ontario Bar Association.
- Mr. Jaipargas is a member of the Executive of the Insolvency Section of
the Ontario Bar Association.
- Mr. Jaipargas is a member of the American Bar Association.
- Mr Jaipargas is a member of the Canadian Insolvency Foundation.
Practice areas to which Roger Jaipargas belongs:
- Financial Services
- Insolvency and Restructuring