Gerry Stobo is a Partner in the Ottawa Office. Gerry graduated from the University
of Calgary with a Bachelor of Arts. He received a Bachelor of Laws (Honours)
from the University of London. Gerry completed the Program for Public Executives
at Queen's University. He was called to the Bar of the Province of Alberta in
1981 and to the Law Society of Upper Canada in 2004. Gerry is rated by his international
trade law peers in the Lexpert Directory, The Best Lawyers in Canada
and Chambers Guide to the Worlds Leading Lawyers as one of
Canadas leading trade lawyers. He is BLGs Ottawa Regional Commercial
Litigation Group Manager.
Areas of Practice
- Trade Law
- Government Contracting and Procurement Law
- Public and Regulatory Law
- Construction Law
Professional Experience and Publications
- General Counsel, Canadian International Trade Tribunal, 1995-2001.
- General Counsel, Immigration and Refugee Board, 1989-1994.
- Appeared before all levels of courts and tribunals, including Supreme Court
of Canada and the Security Intelligence Review Committee.
- Lead counsel on a number of complex dumping, subsidy and safeguard cases
for multi-national corporations and as lead counsel for the Canadian International
- Appeared before international dispute resolution panels created under the
North American Free Trade Agreement.
- Counsel on two precedent-setting inter-provincial trade disputes involving
services pursuant to Agreement on Internal Trade.
- Retained by the United States Department of State as an expert in Canadian
procurement law in a recent Chapter 11 dispute under the North American Free
- Counsel to governments, hospitals, museums and corporations on all aspects
of tendering and contracting including proposal design, creation of the solicitation
documents, administration of the procurement, evaluation process and bid challenge.
- Counsel on many complex federal government bid disputes.
- Canadian Dumping and Subsidy Legislation Redux: Changes to the Way
the Canadian International Trade Tribunal Conducts Dumping and Subsidy Cases,
2000 International Trade Law and Regulation.
- Canadian Government Procurement Law, International Trade and
Investment Law in Canada, Thomson Carswell, April 2003.
- Author of numerous articles for trade and procurement journals as well as
national news publications
Professional and Community Activities
- Founder and Chair, Public Procurement Law Practitioners Group.
- Past Co-Chair, Customs Committee, Sales and Commodity Tax Section of the
Canadian Bar Association.
- Past Secretary, Committee on Public Procurement (Committee M4) of the International
- Past President of the Public Sector Lawyers Conference of the Canadian Bar
- Founder and Past-Chairman of the Immigration Section of the Canadian Bar
Association in southern Alberta.
- Past Secretary-Treasurer of the National Immigration Law Section of the
Canadian Bar Association.
- Frequent speaker throughout Canada and in the United States on trade law,
procurement law, ethics and tribunal governance issues.
- One of the architects for the highly acclaimed training program for federal
- Chaired a working group that recently developed Canada's first ethics training
program for administrative tribunal members.
- Director, Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
Practice areas to which Gerry Stobo belongs:
- Appeal and Review
- Business Immigration
- Commercial Litigation
- Commodity Tax
- Construction, Engineering, Surety and Fidelity
- Federal Court
- Government Relations
- International Group
- International Trade Law
- Regulatory Law