Bruce Reynolds is a partner at our Toronto office. Mr. Reynolds was called
to the Ontario Bar in 1983, after articling with Borden & Elliot. Mr. Reynolds
graduated from the University of Toronto Law School with an LL.B., and has his
Bachelor of Arts from Victoria University.
Mr. Reynolds is the national leader of the Construction, Engineering, Surety
and Fidelity Group.
Areas of Practice
- Construction law and surety bond law, including construction claims, construction
liens, construction contracts, surety bonds, construction insurance claims,
and architects' and engineers' E&O, with emphasis on mega-project litigation
- In private practice as a Litigator since 1983, representing banks, owners,
developers, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and surety bonding
companies, with respect to issues relating, inter alia , to construction contracts,
liens, trust claims, insurance, and claims in negligence arising from the
performance of construction and engineering contracts.
- Co-Counsel to the design-build subcontractor Dominion Bridge on the $47
million SkyDome lien litigation from 1989-1993.
- Counsel to The Hospital for Sick Children defending 36 Claims for Lien aggregating
in excess of $52 Million.
- Counsel to the surety, Boreal Property & Casualty, in respect of the
multi-million dollar 1995 Ontario Bus Industries workout.
- Counsel to the general contractor Danieli Canada Inc. from 1997 to 2001
in respect of the $500 Million Direct Strip Production Complex for Algoma
Steel, defending 56 Claims for Lien aggregating in excess of $83 Million.
- Currently counsel to Commercial Alcohols Inc. (CAI), owner of
a $150 Million distillery, in respect of a major delay claim, and in respect
of the completion of work necessary to successful commissioning. Called pro
hac vice in the Western District of the State of Kentucky in relation to one
action associated with this retainer.
- Currently counsel to Maritime Road Development Corporation in respect of
the claims related to the Federicton-Moncton Highway Project in New Brunswick.
Professional and Community Activities
- Co-author of Construction, Builders and Mechanics Liens in Canada,
7th Edition (Carswell, published 2005)
- Co-Author, with K.W. Scott, of the legal textbook Scott and Reynolds
on Surety Bonds, Carswell, December 1993.
- Member, Construction Law Section, Canadian Bar Association (Ontario); member
of the Executive 1986 - 1998; Chair 1992 - 1994.
- Member, Attorney General's Advisory Committee on Alternate Dispute Resolution
in the Construction Industry (1993 - 1994).
- Fellow and Founding Governor of Canadian College of Construction Lawyers,
serving as Program Leader 1998 - 1999; Treasurer 1999 - 2000; Secretary 2000
- 2001; Vice-President 2001-2002 and President 2002-2003.
- Affiliate Member of the Surety Association of Canada.
- Associate Member, American Bar Association, Torts and Insurance Section,
Fidelity Subsection, Vice Chair of the Fidelity and Surety Law Committee (1999
- 2003), and Associate Member of the Forum On The Construction Industry.
- Speaker and panel participant on Construction Law and Surety Bonding issues
for the American Bar Association; the Canadian Bar Association; the Canadian
Bar Association (Ontario); the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers; the
Canadian Institute; Construct Canada; Construct 2000; Construction Law Update;
First Nations Technical Services Corporation; Infonex; Insight; the Law Society
of Upper Canada; Lorman Educational Services; Ministry of Transportation (Ontario);
Ontario Architects Association; Surety Association of Canada; Toronto
Construction Association; the Water Environment Association of Ontario, and
various other legal, surety and construction associations.
Practice areas to which R. Bruce Reynolds belongs:
- Construction, Engineering, Surety and Fidelity
- Infrastructure & Public-Private Partnership Group
- Intellectual Property Litigation