Michael Marion is a partner practising in our Calgary office. He was admitted
to the Alberta Bar in 1999 after articling with the firm and clerking with the
Alberta Court of Appeal and Alberta Court of Queens Bench.
Michael holds a Bachelor of Commerce (Hons.) with distinction, majoring in
Finance, from the University of Manitoba.
Michael is a member of the Expropriation Law Practice Group , the Administrative
and Regulatory Law Practice Group, the Electricity Markets Practice Group, the
Public Law Focus Group and the Commercial Litigation Practice Group.
Areas of Practice
- Michael practices corporate and commercial litigation and administrative
law with a focus on Alberta expropriation law, energy litigation, including
electricity and oil and gas litigation, general contractual and commercial
litigation, public law and commercial litigation with a focus on shareholder
remedies and corporate litigation, bankruptcy and insolvency litigation.
- Co-counsel on several Alberta expropriation disputes, including expropriations
arising out of the construction of the Calgary Stoney Trail and Ring
- Appeared as lead and co-counsel in trial and interlocutory proceedings before
the Alberta Court of Appeal, the Alberta Court of Queens Bench, the
Manitoba Court of Appeal and the Manitoba Court of Queens Bench.
- Lead counsel in corporate oppression and shareholder remedy actions, on
behalf of both corporations and shareholders. Co-counsel in shareholder dissent
- Lead and co-counsel for a large electric utility. Matters include general
commercial disputes as well as disputes arising out of the restructuring of
the Alberta electricity industry.
- Lead and co-counsel for oil and gas exploration and operation companies,
and oil and gas industry service companies. Matters include disputes arising
out of oil and gas operations as well as transactions for the purchase and
sale of oil and gas and other assets.
- Acts on behalf of receivers, monitors, trustees in bankruptcy and creditors
in receiverships, bankruptcies and restructurings pursuant to the Companies
Creditors Arrangement Act.
- Lead counsel on many other general corporate and commercial disputes, including
disputes arising out of franchise agreements, product liability, heavy equipment
sales and general breach of contract claims.
- Experience in matters related to fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach
of confidence and misuse of confidential information.
- Experience in the obtaining of pre-action civil disclosure orders, including
co-authoring, with Randall Block and Dan Gilborn, the article Sealed
Ex Parte Norwich Orders: Safeguarding Against Abuse of the Pre-Action Disclosure
Remedy (2003), Annual Review of Civil Litigation 225.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member of the Alberta Expropriation Association
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Alberta Bar Association
- Member of the Calgary Bar Association
- Former volunteer under the University of Calgary Mentor program
- Volunteer Director, Canadian Institute of Natural and Integrative Medicine
Practice areas to which Michael A. Marion belongs:
- Appeal and Review
- Commercial Litigation
- Electricity Markets
- Environmental, Municipal, Expropriation and Regulatory Group
- Expropriation Law
- Insolvency and Restructuring
- Product Liability
- Public Law
- Regulatory Law
- Securities Litigation/Broker Liability