Josef Krüger is a partner at our Calgary office. He commenced articles
in December 1980, was admitted to the Bar in South Africa in 1983 and practiced
as a barrister at the Johannesburg Bar until 1998. He joined Howard Mackie in
Calgary in 1998, and is a member of the Alberta Bar.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Oil and Gas Litigation
- International Arbitration
- Seismic data and seismic processing disputes
- Josef has more than 25 years experience in commercial litigation. He is
a veteran of more than 300 trials and arbitrations. He also has extensive
experience in arguing matters on appeal.
- Josef has acted as lead counsel in disputes in the fields of company law,
banking, bankruptcy, engineering and oil and gas disputes.
- Josef was co-counsel in 2003-2005 for U.S. clients in a multi-million dollar
dispute relating to a construction project in northern Alberta.
- Josef has acted in a number of matters involving disputes about seismic
data ownership, seismic data products and the processing of seismic data.
- In 2001 Josef secured a multi million-dollar judgment against a large insurance
company for the members of a depleted pension fund.
- In 2002 Josef successfully acted for a Receiver in a trial about the alleged
termination of a gas lease, and obtained a ground-breaking judgment in that
area of the law.
- In 2003 and 2004, Josef was lead counsel for a U.S. client in a complex
and protracted oil and gas litigation arising from insolvency proceedings,
and successfully represented his client at trial.
- His experience includes:
- Receiverships and Restructurings
- Bankruptcy proceedings and the recovery of assets on behalf of trustees
- Oil and gas litigation
- International arbitrations, in particular ICC arbitrations
- Presiding as arbitrator in commercial disputes
- The unravelling of international commercial frauds and the recovery
of assets across borders
- Mareva injunctions and Anton Pillar orders
- International building and engineering disputes
- Companies Creditors Arrangement Act proceedings
- Defending auditors liability claims
- Unlawful competition claims, and the enforcement of covenants in restraint
- Acting on behalf of Lloyds of London and other international underwriters
in insurance claims
- Litigation for and against banks
- Contractual disputes
- Proceedings under Business Corporation legislation, particularly shareholder
- Real estate and condominium disputes
- Product liability claims
Professional and Community Activities
- 1981-1983: Part time lecturer in commercial law subjects, University of
- 1983-2005: Member of the Johannesburg Bar
- 1996 - 2000: Member of the panel of arbitrators (commercial disputes) of
the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa
- 1999 - Present: Member of the Alberta Bar
- 2000 - Present: Member of the International Bar Association and Vice Chair
of the Restructuring and Workouts Committee of the Section on Insolvency,
Restructuring and Creditors Rights
- 2000- Present: Member of the Canadian Bar Association, and presently Chair
of the Alberta South Insolvency Section
- 2002 - Present: Member of the American Bar Association, INSOL, CAIRP and
the Turnaround Management Association
- 2003 - 2006: Member of Council of First Lutheran Church
Practice areas to which Josef G.A. Krüger belongs:
- Commercial Litigation
- Insolvency and Restructuring
- International Group
- Product Liability