Brian Schneiderman is a partner in our Montréal office. Mr. Schneiderman
was admitted to the Québec Bar in 1971 and to the Ontario Bar in 1978.
He is a graduate of the Université de Montréal Law School (1970)
and holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from McGill University (1967). Prior to
joining our firm, he served as a tax litigator with Justice Canada from 1971
Areas of Practice
- Mr. Schneiderman is regional leader of the firms Montréal Tax
- Mr. Schneiderman represents public corporations and owner-operated businesses
before the tax courts and in negotiations with the tax authorities.
- His specialized areas of practice include advising on the taxation of individuals
and corporations, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, liquidations,
transfer pricing, financing transactions, tax treaties, foreign investment
in Canada, Canadian investment off-shore, formation of charitable foundations,
asset protection and estate and tax planning.
- In addition to providing tax advice on matters relating to corporate, personal
and international tax matters Mr. Schneiderman provides advice on matters
relating to capital tax, tobacco tax, customs duties and excise tax.
Professional and Community Activities
- Mr. Schneiderman has been and continues to be active in professional and
community activities. He is a Past President of the Canadian branch of the
International Fiscal Association (IFA) and Chair of the Working Group of IFAs
Travelling Lectureship Programme.
- Mr. Schneiderman is a Past President of the Lord Reading Law Society, a
former Director of the Corporation professionnelle des comptables en management
accrédités du Québec, a former director of The Canadian
Club of Montréal, a former member of various committees of the Montréal
Bar and Québec Bar and a current member of the Canadian Bar Association,
the Canadian Tax Foundation, the American Bar Association, and the Society
of Trust and Estate Practitioners. He has served as a member of the Appeals
Advisory Committee of the Canada Revenue Agency.
- Mr. Schneiderman has taught and written in the field of tax law. He has
authored articles for The Canadian Taxpayer and for the BLG Tax Law Update.
He was a Canadian national reporter at the fortieth Annual IFA Congress.
- Mr. Schneiderman has lectured in tax law at the Québec Bar School
and the McGill University Continuing Education Program. He has also tutored
and lectured at the In-Depth Tax Program of the Canadian Institute of Chartered
- In 2000 Mr. Schneiderman served as chairman of the Interpreting Canadas
Tax Conventions panel at the IFA Canadian branch Annual Seminar, of
the International Taxation panel at the Annual Tax Conference
of the Canadian Tax Foundation, and of the Effective Strategies
panel at the Federated Press Conference on Foreign Affiliates.
- In 2002 Mr. Schneiderman was a co-panellist with Canadas Competent
Authority on the Uses of Competent Authority Procedure panel at
the joint meeting of the British and Canadian branches of IFA.
- In 2002 and 2003 Mr. Schneiderman served as panel chairman of the Creative
Tax Planning panel at the Federated Press Conference on Taxation of
- In 2004 Mr. Schneiderman served as panel chairman of the Canada Revenue
Agency Roundtable panel at the IFA Canadian branch Annual Seminar.
- In 2005 Mr. Schneiderman was a co-panellist with the Canada Revenue Agencys
Director General, Appeals Branch on The Appeals Process: A Roundtable
Discussion panel at The Montréal Jewish Communitys Annual
- In 2004, 2005 and 2006, Mr. Schneiderman served as panel chairman of the
Topical Issues in Corporate Reorganization panel at the Federated
Press Conference on Taxation of Corporate Reorganization.
Practice areas to which Brian M. Schneiderman belongs:
- Corporate Tax
- International Tax Law
- Personal Tax and Estate Planning
- Tax Litigation