Jason Howg is a partner, lawyer, patent agent and trade-mark agent in our Calgary
office. He was admitted to the Alberta Bar in 2000 after graduating with a law
degree from the University of Alberta in 1999 and became a patent agent and
trade-mark agent in 2004.
Prior to his legal career he completed a business degree (with Distinction)
from the University of Regina, majoring in corporate finance.
Mr. Howg has consulted, worked and taught in the information technology, computer,
software and internet fields. More specifically, he was a software consultant
(including providing database, software and website design and development services)
and has taught computer courses at a university level.
Areas of Practice
- Mr. Howg focuses his legal practice on technology law including the areas
of information technology (IT), software and hardware, e-commerce/e-business,
website, internet and computer law and has recently focussed on providing
services in the health informatics area.
- Mr. Howgs patent practice focuses on information technology-related
technologies, computer and software technologies, business methods and mechanical
- He further practices in other intellectual property areas including the
trade-mark, copyright, trade secret, confidential information and industrial
- Negotiates, drafts and reviews information technology agreements including
software development agreements, software license agreements, software support
and maintenance agreements, professional services agreements, hardware acquisition
agreements, source code escrow agreements, data access agreements, distribution
agreements, multimedia licensing agreements and consulting and outsourcing
- Negotiates, drafts and reviews intellectual property agreements and technology
agreements including patent, trade-mark, copyright and trade secret assignments,
licenses and transfer agreements.
- Provides services in all areas of patent law. Services include drafting,
filing and prosecuting patent applications internationally (with a focus on
organizations computer, software, IT and business method technology)
as well as conducting patentability searches and preparing patentability,
validity and infringement opinions.
- Conducts intellectual property audits and due diligence audits for organizations
seeking investment or engaging in transactions.
- Provides advice, in conjunction with litigation counsel, on intellectual
property infringement matters and ownership disputes.
- Provides advice in the area of trade secrets and confidential information
and negotiates, drafts and reviews confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements.
- Negotiates, drafts and reviews acceptable e-mail and internet use policies,
website use policies, privacy policies, discussion and chat room disclaimers
and on-line sales agreements as well as website development, hosting and content
- Conducts website audits including reviewing websites for appropriate website
use agreements, privacy policies and copyright and trademark use.
- Increases client awareness of issues in his practice areas by presenting
seminars and papers. Recent seminars and papers include topics such as intellectual
property and patent primers, intellectual property ownership between employers/employees
and client/consultants, e-mail law, the intersection of trade-marks and domain
names, employee e-mail surveillance and internet challenges for internet businesses.
Professional and Community Activities
- Associate of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, IT.Can (Canadian IT Law Association)
- Member, Intellectual Property/Technology Section of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Branch
Practice areas to which Jason L. Howg belongs:
- Entertainment Law
- Information Technology
- Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Agency
- Private Company