Colin MacDonald is a partner in our Calgary office and a member of the Calgary
Regional Management Committee. Mr. MacDonald was admitted to the Bar of Nova
Scotia in 1980 and the Alberta Bar in 1984. He graduated from Dalhousie Law
School in 1977 and prior to that received a M.A. (Economics) from McMaster University
in 1974 and a Joint Honours degree (B.B.A.) in Economics and Business Administration
from St. Francis Xavier University in 1973.
Areas of Practice
- Colin primarily practices in the commercial area with an emphasis on Government
Relations and Competition Law. He Chairs the Firms National Government
Relations practice group.
- From 1977-1982, served in several capacities with the Government of Canada
including as Executive Assistant to the Minister of Finance and Deputy Prime
Minister of Canada. Travelled extensively with the Deputy PM and attended
meetings of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank and Commonwealth
- After moving to Calgary in 1983, served as counsel for Canterra Energy Ltd.
until 1988 with involvement in oil and gas-related matters including acquisition
and divestiture of oil and gas assets.
- At Borden Ladner Gervais LLP, Colin has worked primarily in the corporate/
commercial area and advises clients on Competition Act and Investment
Canada Act matters.
- Colin has an active government relations practice and advises clients on
a variety of strategic issues at all levels of government in Canada.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Nova Scotia Barristers Society (non practicing member)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Institute of Corporate Directors Institute Certified Director
- Chair, Board of Directors of Calgary Olympic Development Association (CODA)
(Director since 2000)
- Member, Board of Directors of Terra Energy Corp., a TSX Venture Company
- Member, Board of Governors of St. Francis Xavier University ( since 2005)
- Member, Board of Directors of Calgary Airport Authority (1998 - 2006)
- Member, Board of Directors of Catholic Family Services (1997 - 2007)
- Member, Board of Directors of a number of private corporations
- Member, Board of Directors of Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (1994-2002)
- National Vice President Liberal Party of Canada (1990-1994)
- Awarded the 1992 Commemorative Medal for the 125th Anniversary of the Confederation
of Canada for significant contribution to the community.
Practice areas to which Colin P. MacDonald belongs:
- Advertising and Sponsorship
- Asia Pacific Group
- Business Immigration
- Competition and Marketing Law
- Corporate Commercial Group
- Corporate Governance
- Government Relations
- Infrastructure & Public-Private Partnership Group
- International Group
- Japan Group
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Oil and Gas
- Securities and Capital Markets