Brad J. Pierce is a partner in Calgary. He graduated from the University of
Alberta in 1984 and was admitted to the Alberta Bar in 1985.
Mr. Pierce has an undergraduate degree in Canadian History from the University
of Alberta and is an alumni of Ridley College in St. Catherines, Ontario.
Areas of Practice
- Mr. Pierce practices in the corporate and commercial area and is primarily
involved in private equity and venture capital financing mergers and acquisitions.
- Other practice areas include investment funds and asset management, in addition
to advising entrepreneurs and start up enterprises on business structures
and corporate governance.
- Mr. Pierce also has unique expertise on the commercial and regulatory issues
surrounding land tenures and the structuring and financing of commercial enterprises
on federal and First Nations' lands.
- Acts for several of the firms clients on a broad range of corporate
and regulatory matters, including public and private financings, mergers and
acquisitions and regulatory and environmental compliance.
- Primary counsel in Calgary for the venture capital division of Canada's
largest venture capital firm regarding investments in information technology
and bioscience firms in Western Canada.
- Acts for investors and company founders on the financing and high valuation
sale of several information technology companies including Hyprotech Ltd.,
Audesi Technologies Inc. and Ciphersoft Ltd.
- Primary Canadian counsel for a leading process management software firm
with worldwide sales and operations.
- Primary counsel for a boutique U.S. based investment banking firm on the
tax efficient restructuring and sale of technology firms to the oil and gas
and mining industries.
- Acts for several significant tourism enterprises in Banff National Park
and adjacent areas on land tenure, financing, regulatory and development issues.
Professional and Community Activities
- Secretary of the Venture Capital Association of Alberta.
- Member of Liberal Party of Canada and Laurier Club.
- President of Howard Foundation supporting engineering studies at the University
- Past President of The Association for Mountain Parks Protection and Enjoyment
promoting sustainable tourism in the four mountain parks.
Practice areas to which Brad J. Pierce belongs:
- Aboriginal Law
- Biotech and Pharmaceutical
- Corporate Commercial Group
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Governance
- Intellectual Property
- Investment Management
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Private Company
- Securities and Capital Markets
- Venture Capital