Aviation, Corporate Advisory, Dairy Industry, Forestry, Land Transport, Litigation
Andrew specialises in Competition and Regulatory Law including clearances and
authorisations of mergers and acquisitions, behavioural arrangements and conduct
and appeals and prosecutions. He heads the Competition practice in Auckland.
Andrew is a highly experienced competition law practitioner having previously
worked for Clifford Chance in London and Davis Polk in New York, as well as
being head of the Competition practice at another New Zealand law firm. Andrew
joined Russell McVeagh in 2004. He is listed in the Global Competition Review
"The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers and Economists".
He is a member of the Steering Group of the International Antitrust Committee
of the American Bar Association.
- Acting for Lion Nathan in relation to their proposed acquisition of Independent
- Acting for Pfizer in relation to the sale of their Consumer Healthcare business
to Johnson & Johnson.
- Acting for Hancock Natural Resource Group in respect of the acquisition
of forestry assets from Carter Holt Harvey.
- Acting for Qantas in relation to the Tasman Networks Agreement with Air
- Advising Genesis Energy in relation to competition issues and specifically
investigations by the Commerce Commission.
- Acting for Fortune Brands in respect of their acquisition of brands and
assets from Allied Domecq.
- Acting for Fonterra in relation to the competition approvals in New Zealand
for the proposed acquisition of National Foods.
- Acting for Fonterra in relation to supply and pricing issues and various
other competition issues, both domestically and internationally.
- Acting for Visy Industries in respect to an investigation into alleged cartel
- Advising Woolworths/Progressive Enterprises on competition issues.
- Acting for Qantas in relation to its initial strategic alliance with Air
- Acting for Qantas in relation to a prosecution over advertising of additional
taxes, charges and levies.
- Acting for a bank in relation to a Commerce Commission investigation into
credit card interchange fees.
- Acting for NAB in relation to Custom Fleet's acquisition of Hertz Fleetlease.
- Acting for Vodafone in relation to the acquisition of Spectrum in the Government's
2 GHz and 900 MHz spectrum auctions.
- Advising Southern Cross in relation to the acquisition of Aetna Health (NZ)
Limited and subsequent appeals to the High Court and Court of Appeal.
LLB University of Otago
LLM University of Chicago
Admitted to practise in New Zealand in 1987