Private Client & Offshore Services, Kozusko Harris Duncan updates


Contributed by Kozusko Harris Duncan
Completing and filing Form 5472 for foreign-owned US LLC
  • USA
  • February 01 2018

A limited liability company (LLC) created under the laws of a US state that is wholly owned by a single non-US person (a foreign-owned LLC) will be required to report transactions with its non-US owner and related parties to the Internal Revenue Service. Advisers to families with succession planning structures that use US foreign-owned LLCs should familiarise themselves with Form 5472 and determine whether the LLC has had any reportable transactions with its sole non-US owner or a related party.

Revised Forms W-8 clarify some FATCA issues – but not all
  • USA
  • November 30 2017

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) recently released an updated Form W-8BEN-E and Form W-8IMY. Non-US entities should use these new forms when requested to certify their status under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act. Among other things, the new forms clarify confusion over which global intermediary identification number should be reported for the trustee of a trustee-documented trust.

Practical FATCA and CRS compliance for family trust structures
  • USA
  • September 07 2017

All over the world, financial institutions are collecting information on and reporting individuals associated with a family's succession planning trust structure. The family's interests are best served when the family office and professional advisers take a proactive approach to complying with the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act and the Common Reporting Standard as they apply to each entity within the family trust structure.

US citizens living abroad still face US tax and reporting obligations
  • USA
  • May 04 2017

Particularly since the US presidential election, some US citizens have moved abroad and others are considering such a move. Tax professionals and trust officers worldwide are fielding questions from these individuals, and how to advise them depends on the particular individual's objectives. Regardless of the length of time spent living outside the United States, the US citizen must be advised to continue all annual US tax reporting.

Overview (April 2017)
  • USA
  • April 13 2017

US citizens and US residents are subject to income, gift and estate taxes. Non-US persons are subject to tax on certain US income and property transfers. Advisers to international families must be able to recognise when a family member has come in contact with the US tax net and plan accordingly. This will often mean seeking advice from competent US tax counsel.

Current search